Friday 1 March 2013

3rd Birthday Circus Party


We did the Hungry Caterpillar for her first Charlie and Lola for her second, so wanted to stay away from any character theme's this year.  Also she is really into Peppa Pig, and I didn't fancy that as a theme, so just wanted it colourful and bright.

I threw in a loose circus theme, insofar as a vintage circus animal motif on the hats, cupcake toppers, party bags and bunting, and popcorn boxes, but other from that it was just as colourful as I could make it.


The party invitation, was a simple circus ticket idea, and I also painted this on a giant board to sit behind the food table.


I wanted as much colour as possible on the long party table, so I got orange and yellow paper cups with stripey fete-style paper straws, yellow napkins and blue paper plates.
I filled nice glass bottles with bright coloured juices and filled sandcastle bukets with crips and tied helium balloons to them.

I also put either foam animal masks or clown noses on the children's plates as favours, and they looked great wearing them!



I wanted to keep the kids busy, so after lunch we all decorated biscuits to take home.  I made a bunch of extra biscuits and then made up icing in different colours. The kids then chose from different sweets and hundreds and thousands and decorate them.



I wanted a plain white cake and made Devon toppers to go in it, using a Circus font that I downloaded. I covered it in hundreds and thousand and when you cut it open...


It was a rainbow! I used a victoria sponge cake and baked four separate cakes, each with different food colouring added, then made a yummy cream cheese frosting for the top.


I strung up last years' Charlie and Lola biscuit bunting and made lots of giant Mexican paper pompoms as decoration.
I also bought lots of coloured paper streamers. 



I made popcorn boxes by editing a net I found online and filled them with popcorn.







I made Nigella Lawson's marshmallow crispie squares and added edible stars to them and topped them in cupcake toppers that I made.



Me, my Dad and my little sister.


I iced a load of brightly coloured biscuits, just a plain vanilla recipe, but they looked great, not many people ate them though! - Perhaps they were too blue, which was annoying as it took like two hours to ice them!



Homemade bunting, made with the party invitation and the circus theme.




Ladybird open sandwiches



My favourite of all the food, the rainbow cupcakes, I can't take credit for these, I found them on a blog somewhere, whoever invented them was a genius. They tasted amazing too, creamcheese frosting on vanilla sponge, iced by my best friend Sorrel.



Overall it was an amazing success.  All the children loved it, and with all the help that I was lucky enough to have, it didn't take too long to set up or pack away.



2 comments: